Sunday, June 23, 2013

World War Z: Decent, but not a classic...




This film has stirred up a lot of debate before its release from fan-boys and people who enjoyed the novelization so much they felt it could NEVER live up to the big screen version. Well, don't ask me for a comparison there, I didn't read the book, but I can tell you I felt this was a decent film, along with some obvious flaws I'll point out later on.

The story? Earth's suddenly been overrun by some virus/plague that has turned the human race into a bunch of relentless zombies, hellbent on getting the next person infected they come into contact with. Enter Brad Pitts main character of Gerry Lane, a former UN special envoy that is now thrust back into his former role, attempting to help uncover what caused this zombie virus to be unleashed worldwide. That's really the story in a nutshell as he moves from one location to the next trying to piece together clues of how the hell humanity will stop this insanity. He also has a family that he gets to stash aboard a Naval vessel that's under the control of his employer, the United Nations. Yes, working for the UN has perks during a zombie apocalypse! (at least in this film it does)

The first 20 minutes of this film have a lot going on, but I honestly felt with all the chaos ensuing across NYC, and New Jersey, it all felt sort of flat. I can't pinpoint why, but I just felt like the big budget visuals, and the jarring camera movements provided by director Marc Forster were a slight overkill. All it did was make me think of 28 days later, and how much more methodical the set-up of that story was, but I'll get back to that thought later. I really didn't feel anything until Gerry is flown into Israel and is being counciled by a guy named Jurgen. What sets up the action and moments of tension well in this mise-en-scene is the fact Israel was declared the only place in the world that had effectively built up enough walls to be zombie free, inside their main cities. So once you can see the zombies start using each other as a ladder up the wall, that was the moment I truly felt the most tension in the film and this was about a solid 30-40 minutes into the picture. And just as things really get cooking and Gerry finds himself on a jumbo jet en route to an area that has a W.H.O facility, I think the writers got a little egregious with the corner he (Gerry) and others on the plane get painted into. I won't spoil it, but I almost had to hold back laughter once I saw how Brad Pitt's main character managed to get out of that pickle. I realize it's a zombie film, it's fiction, but I felt like it was still a ridiculous moment where my believability was down the crapper.

Anyway, the very last act was halfway decent, and one thing I DO applaud the filmmakers was their choice in trying to use as many people in makeup as possible for the zombie attacks. It was definitely a nice change of pace from what we saw in I Am Legend with it's non-stop CGI madness. Not enough films are using classic creature effects, and allowing solid makeup to make the viewer become completely immersed in a terrifying environment. So full marks that they did what they could within this movie to old school that concept. I think my main issue lies with the ending. Everything just felt a little anti-climactic and wrapped up, yet not wrapped up too soon. Maybe that's just me, but it wasn't the homerun of an ending I was hoping for once the film started to find a good pace in the second act. You'll have to comment below and definitely let me know what you thought of the film's wrap up.

Overall, I just had this feeling the film had moments that fell pretty flat and then some that were really well done. The acting was decent, some of the action sequences were a sight to see, and the story itself was just decent. I'm willing to bet that's the product of having 3 writers tied to this screenplay. I felt like I was watching a boxing match where at one point the story and film was kicking ass and at other points it was getting its ass kicked.

In the end, it's a decent, yet flawed film and honestly made me have flashbacks to what worked so well in the lower budget, yet ultra tension filled 28 Days Later. (which for my money is a CLASSIC for the zombie film genre)

Nuff said

2 out of 4 stars

** Let's hope for the Blu-ray release the studio and director decides to attach the alternated 3rd act/ending that they completely re-shot for the theatrical release. On paper it sounded darker, edgier, and created more tension for Gerry and his family while separated from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment