Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Rocky Balboa spin-off "Creed": Thoughtful idea or just a cash grab?


I'm going to make it crystal clear before I get into my opinions on this that I've adored the Rocky films since I was about seven years old. I would even go as far as saying I was a bigger fan of the Apollo Creed character than I was Rocky himself. I remember being vehemently pissed as a ten year old when I first watched Rocky IV and Drago killed one of my idols. That being said, I would love to know what Hollywood is smoking with the idea to green light a spin-off project entitled "Creed."

The basic premise (per a yahoo article earlier today) is that Rocky gets lured out of his retirement to become Apollo Creed's grandsons trainer. Ah, yeah, do I need to repeat this? Does this mean we'll eventually get a flashback spin-off with Mickey and Paulie taking a summer road trip together as well??! It's bad enough we're getting so many remakes shoved down our throats like Total Recall, the soon to be released Robocop, Poltergeist, and many others, but now something like this is going to get funded! So I guess what's debatable here is will there be some original source material to make this spin-off film into something special, or will it just feel like a formulaic retread?

  Hasn't this film already been made?

It's really too bad the Carl Weather's Apollo Creed character was killed off because ideally HE would be the proper actor needed to give a film like this some real sincerity. Right away I'm questioning why would Rocky train his grandson? Why can't Apollo's family set him up with a contemporary trainer, why Rocky? Another issue I have is didn't we already get a film like this with Rocky V, when Rocky reluctantly trains Tommy Gun? Seems like this will be a slippery slope in terms of avoiding territory Sly Stallone has already taken this series. Will there be a Don King like character to lure Creed's grandson into a life of being tormented by money, and unethical behavior? Will we see him fight Ivan Drago's butt-baby? Just kidding, but these are the kinds of absurd questions swirling in my brain after reading this announcement from earlier today.

Sometimes I think it's good to let a good thing go out on top. Stallone more than accomplished this with Rocky Balboa and I'm not sure why he'd want to be apart of something that could potentially undo what he fixed between Rocky 5 and the last entry. However, maybe I'm way off the mark here and if anyone has any bright ideas as to why this could make for a great film, by all means, leave some comments below. Let the debate begin... Nuff said.





2 comments:

  1. Hey, so i actually clicked on the link you posted on IGN, so i actually read your article!

    my biggest worry is who specifically is writing and directing this? you can do any movie premise youd like, as long as it has good implementation.

    Side Note: i actually enjoyed the total recall remake. and im looking forward to seeing the new robocop, i hope its good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, I sort of wrote off the Total Recall remake but maybe need to give it a whirl since you said it was decent. The new Robocop may be good given the strong supporting cast, but I guess I just get sick of Hollywood only going back to the 80s for help...

      One thing that my brother mentioned may be good for a Creed film is something that can show a strong black and white character, working together.. may help heal some of the divisiveness in this country towards race relations..

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete