Saturday, April 6, 2013

Evil Dead (2013) review: The most gory film to hit the silver screen....




I'll admit, I've never really sat down to watch the original film in this franchise, The Evil Dead, starring Bruce Campbell. When I tried to, I became too disturbed seeing a woman get raped in the woods via barbed wire. But nonetheless, I went into this remake or reboot, whatever the hell you want to call it in the age of franchises being jump started again, with an open mind.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I actually really enjoyed this affair. If you're going to do something right, be consistent with the approach, and consistent the filmmakers were, utilizing the best in younger, bad actors, and the utmost gruesome killing and maiming effects I've ever seen on the big screen. Nothing was half-assed here.Too many times I'll see horror films where only a small portion of the film really kicks the violence into full throttle, but once this particular film unleashes the curse of a book the young adult campers find buried in a cabins basement, it's a balls out tour de force of cringing at what you see.

I'll take a step back here to give you a run down of the basic story. A younger woman who is recovering from massive psychological disorder, primarily from drug overdose, is attempting to recover up in the woods, at a not so nice looking cabin with four of her closest friends. These friends consist of her older brother, his girlfriend, a nurse; an incredible nag of a nurse at that, and a classic, awkward geeky guy who looks like he was taken right out of a 70s horror film. It's this geek that decides opening the cursed book, made out of dead skin, with blood stains all over it, is too hard to resist by reading its passages. These are passages where it's made abundantly clear to NOT READ! Uh oh, we have incredibly stupid characters in this movie, where their actions make absolutely no sense. Once he reads them, that's when the film turns into one bad thing happening after another, and upping the ante each time in the beyond disgusting department.

But as I alluded to earlier, if the story and what's on film scaled back at all, and tried to retract the level of gore you were seeing on screen, the end product would have suffered. Instead, director Fede Alvarez not only smacks you in the face with visuals you'd dare never wanna open one eye for, he manages to capture almost a Stanley Kubrick type visual quality (this was mentioned by another reviewer, I'm merely agreeing with this observation) to many of the ugly things you see on screen. He shot many of the scenes from unique angles, and positions you're not used to seeing a camera get put into, and for that, the movie shined.

I'll even go as far as saying the character I thought was going to survive did not, and kept me guessing right up until the end. Now maybe that's because I haven't been a die hard fan of this franchise and know less about the core story behind it, but either way, it was nice being surprised towards the end.

Bottom line, if you're a fan of blood, guts, gore, and all things sadistic, if that sort of thing gives you a wildly inappropriate, yet innocent mental escape for a couple of hours, then go see this film. If any of those things disturb you to where you may not sleep, or flat out just may offend you in general, then DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go and see this movie.

This is not the most terrifying film you'll ever see, but I guarantee it's one of the most disgusting and gory films you'll ever see. 

Nuff said.


No comments:

Post a Comment