Monday, April 22, 2013

Oblivion: A visually arresting execution of a familiar formula...


I walked out of the theater today completely satisfied with Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion. I'm sure some people will knock the storyline and plot twists as being too familiar to some past sci-fi film incarnations, but that didn't detract from the overall experience for me.  It's really no different than someone who copies a fantastic food recipe, it then becomes important to at least not fumble the ball on executing the formula. Make no mistake, this is a well made film for several reasons I'll get into later....

The overall premise, Earth's been given one major enema from nuclear war that was waged to fight off Aliens who destroyed the moon decades in the past. There are only tiny pockets of life left on the planet, and Tom Cruise's character of Jack is apart of a two person team, who's job it is to make sure automated drones are allowed to comb the surface of the earth and protect these massive fuel collectors. (that collect as much of the leftover water supply as possible to be used as energy on one of Saturn's moons, where the rest of humanity now resides)

Visually this movie gets four stars, easily. I would not expect anyone to walk out of the theater and think they'd been had in that department. The sound design and soundtrack also was top notch. It's those elements that capture your imagination enough for you to be put into the main character's world and feel a part of the journey. So even if you think you can predict the films twists and turns for the storyline, you'll be content enough to stay engaged due to the other variables. I also feel, this film opens up a door of much interpretation for viewers. I came away with a few of my own deeper meanings the film was trying to convey beneath the surface of a formulaic plot, about humanity and it's behavior on Earth, and that alone was enough for me to not feel like it was just some big rip off money grab for Hollywood.

And for those who avoid Tom Cruise films just because he's attracted attention over the years for his private life and decisions, I say get a life! Grade him on how he handles acting in movies and the performance that you're paying to see when the lights go dark. Last I knew, you don't see too many people resisting wanting to see the latest Iron Man due to Robert Downey Jr's much troubled past, off the big screen. I just hate to see people turn down the chance to see a movie that gives you the opportunity to escape reality, and immerse yourself into another world for a few hours.

Oblivion gets 3 1/2 out of 4 stars from me. Nuff said.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the good word, man. I'll def have to go and check this one out!

    ReplyDelete